Sunday, August 15, 2010

Goodnight Haley

I'm not writing this to hurt you - I'm writing to say I'm hurt.

This week I forgot that you existed. Typically, I think of you and your mother often and pray that you're both healthy and well. This week I completely forgot - you didn't cross my mind once. I feel shocked that this could even happen. I forgot that I even had a sister. I walked around completely sure that my only sibling was Uncle Michael. So weird. For five years I've missed your mom and then, wham, overnight I stopped remembering, caring.

Of course I do care, or else I wouldn't be writing.

I'm not sure the lesson on this one.

Anyway, I forgot that I had a sister and, as a result, failed to remember you. I'm so sorry.

It's not because I don't care. I don't think, at least...I'm not sure of much when it comes to you and your mom. Just when I think I am, I'm totally wrong.

I am sure you're missing out on lots of family, though. Positive: Memories. Gifts. Love.

Not to mention, the best aunt you may never know.

Ask your mom, she'll tell you. She's gotta miss me, too.

People tell me it's her loss - I tell them they're wrong. It's ours.

I am on the couch while Uncle Jason sleeps in bed. I just couldn't fall asleep. Honestly, it has nothing to do with you.

It will all be great. Most of it already is.

Goodnight, Haley.

No comments:

Post a Comment