Sunday, May 9, 2010

Always Respect Your Mom

Dear Haley,

Lesson Number Two, yet you're not even a week old today.

Always respect your Mom. While she's not always going to be right, she will always have the right intentions. That is, if she's anything like HER mother. I believe she absolutely is, which makes you very lucky. Soak it up - nobody will love you more.

Make sure you listen to your mother. Not just what she tells you or asks of you, but what she demonstrates, shows you and fails to. See her for her mistakes, take note of her stumbles and watch her as she overcomes them through strength. Realize what she's missing, what she values and just how much she loves you. If nothing else, I am positive of her love for you.

I learned about love from my mom. I learned its challenges, pains, beauty and impact. Yes, all this from my mother. One woman who devoted her life to building the greatest foundation she knew how for your mom, Uncle Michael and me. Not always an easy life to lead, but always a labor of love. This is not to say that I did not learn these things from my father, but I will say there is something profound and unique between a mother and her daughter. (Uncle Jason acknowledges this truth so deeply that he wishes he would be the one to carry your future cousin.)

When your friends want you to play, chances are it is because they want to play the game that they are presenting to you. If your mom insists that you play this game, it's just because she wants you to learn compromise.

When your babysitter wants you to go to sleep, chances are it's because the clock has struck a certain hour and that's just what is supposed to happen. Your mom is the one who is making you go to bed, not the sitter. Rest easy, she just wants you to be healthy and well-rested for tomorrow.

One day you'll have a boyfriend. Hopefully you'll have many boyfriends. Your mom may make it difficult to be with them as much as you'd like to. It's only because she wants you to protect you from heartbreak. She only wants the world for you.

Nobody will consider YOU, Haley, more than your mother. Sometimes right, often wrong, but always with pure love as her motivator. She will pray for the best, work for the best and dream of the best for your future.

And yes, sometimes her own "stuff" will knock her off course. But always, yes always, her heart will be with you.

More than you will ever know. Happy 1st Mother's Day.

I can’t wait to meet you, I love you more than you’ll ever know, my little angel,

Aunt Stacy

No comments:

Post a Comment